Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greenwoods GR CH Jimmy Boots

1. i wish i could give peanut a histoy lesson about where he came from and the dogs of the past.....but he just licks me and wants to play ball

I figured that was Hank in the pic...he doesn't look much different now lol.

The ADBA standard calls for a dog showing some rib and spine still. I'm sure some of us have gotten crap for how our dog looks around show time. The general public is used to a fat dog but there is a great difference in being conditioned and being skinny, and the judges will definatly call you out on it.

The ADBA Standard
    http://adbadogs.com/p_pdetails.asp?fspid=104&pg=104
    HARD MOUTHED

3. Re: Greenwoods GR CH Jimmy Boots

JIMMY BOOTS, A DOG FOR THE AGES...

It seems to me that it is not a bad thing that good dogs are remembered for over a hundred years. Most people are forgotten within a few decades of thier deaths. That fact may be a little disheartening, but it is nonetheless true. Well, then should a mere dog be remembered for over a hundred years, such as the imortal Galvin's PUP or Colby's Pincher? Why not? Of course, I'm an incorrigible bulldog man, and I want the individual dogs to be remembered as long as race horses. As a point of fact, though, perhaps they are remembered for even a longer time- atleast among the bulldog fraternity!
    These thoughts of mine were occasioned by a letter from Mike Page that contained the "true pedigree" of JIMMY BOOTS. The pedigree had been so designated by Ed Weldon and it had been changed by Ralph Greenwood. I knew both men, and they were both fine fellows. But, I remember how they both nearly worshipped JIMMY BOOTS. With knowledge of the high regard that I knew Ralph Greenwood had for the dog, I know that he would not change the breeding record without a lot of research. I told my correspondent that I would check out the facts with Ralph's eldest daughter, Amy Buford. What I had thought was the case turned out ot be correct. Ralph had researched out the breeding of the dog by going back to the people in the area from whence the dog has come, the Red Lands of Oklahoma.
    JIMMY BOOTS had been bred by Earl Tudor, a truly legendary dogman. However, one of Earl's quirks was that he had little regard for papers. That is why I smile when I hear people talk of the Tudor line. Tudor made no effort to develop a line of dogs. He had not patience for that sort of thing and his attitude was that good dogs are where you find them. Nevertheless, some of the finest dogs in the country had a way of finding their way into Earl's hands. All the dogmen in the country respected him, so when they got that once in a lifetime dog, they turned it over to him. When h e liked a dog and a bitch, he bred them together and looked at the papers later. If a litter was small, he would register other pups on that same registration and save a couple of bucks. Sometimes he deliberately falsified a pedigree just for the fun of it. Ralph admired Tudor nearly above all dogmen, but he didn't kid himself that the dog may not have been bred as registered, so he did his research.
    One of my favorite memories of Ralph was when he was showing me a bunch of slides from his collection of dog pictures. One of his pictures was a crowd scene around JIMMY BOOTS. The dog was the center of a picture in which a whole lot of people, men, women, and children wanted their picture taken with the dog, much as the common people might want a picture taken with an actor or an athlete. Ralph referred to the scene in the picture as "the JIMMY BOOTS fan club." To my way of thinking, that was the way it should be with a good dog. He was a good dog in more ways than one.
    Coincidentally, Amy used a picture of JIMMY BOOTS in her excellent seminar for judges at the last A.B.D.A. convention. He was one of the many examples for judging a bulldog for a show, utilizing the ABDA standard for the American Pitbull Terrier. The only way she faulted the dogs was that his head was too large. The drawback in this regard is that there is a certain amount of added weight, since pit dogs are matched to exact weight. As I recall, JIMMY BOOTS was around 54 pounds. But I'm getting ahead of myself, so let me start at the beginning.

I beleive JIMMY BOOTS was whelped in 1969 from a breeding by Earl Tudor. He was purchased as a pet by a fellow in Colorado. In those days, dogs were allowed to run loose, and JIMMY eventually caused trouble. Actaully, the trouble was started by another dog that jumped him when they were both interested in the same female, also runing loose. JIMMY put an end to the discussion by promptly engaging his assailant, but the act landed him in the animal control's hoosegow. He was bailed out, not by his owner, but by an old-time dog man by the name of Trice. JIMMY was a smart dog and he had learned to do tricks, including a couple of ribald ones, taught to him by his original owners. Okay, as an example, the town of Laramie, Wyoming was once famous for its houses of prostitution. When Jimmy was asked what the girls in Laramie were famous for, he would roll on his back with his legs spread. (Well, you had to know!)
    One day Ed Weldon got a call from his old friend Mr. Trice. Trice was quite elderly by the time, and he was quite upset as he said that JIMMY had killed a bear in his barn. Weldon went over to secure the dog, and he discovered that the "bear" was simply a large black dog- a really large black dog! Trice had gotten to an age that he was concerned about handling such a powerful dog as JIMMY. He let ED know that he was going to try to sell the dog. Ed scraped together a couple hundred dollars. Remember, this was about 1970, and that amount of money was not small change, by any means. He was surprised that Mt. Trice only wanted fifty dollars for him, as he had only paid a trifling amount to get him out of the pound.
    At this point, I am a little unclear how long Ed had him. I recall seeing him at Ed's place, but I barely remembered the dog, as he was not yet famous. But, Ed had owned a lot of dogs and seen some great ones and he told me that this one was in a class of his own. That was why I remembered him. Now I wished that I had gotten my picture taken with him! If a had known what a great dog he was , I would also have tried to make sure I got a pup by him. As it was, JIMMY BOOTS was only bred three times. It is hard to guage how good a producer he was from just that small number of dogs, but there were enough good ones that JIMMY BOOTS is back there in many a pedigree. It troubles me to think that I once owned a granddaughter of JIMMY BOOTS and never bred her. She was sired by Shebesta's BUSTER , a grandson of BOOMERANG and a great dog in his own right, so her breeding was nothing to sneexe at. She was out of MISS KITTY, who was JIMMY BOOTS x DOTTIE PATCH. Oh well, done id done, but I sure wish now that I had bred her to something good and not worried too much about whether she measured up to my high standard of quality for these dogs!
    An amusing aspect to this story is how JIMMY BOOTS got his name. Registered into ABDA by Earl Tudor as JIMMY, Ed Weldon's transfer of ownership requested the name BOOTS, as Ed's wife had chosen him to be named. The guys in Colorado new him as BOOTS. When Ed realized what a great dog he had on his hands, he arranged for Ralph Greenwood to take him. Ralph called him JIMMY at first, because of the name on his papers. However, when he and Ed compared notes, with each calling the dog by a different name, the comprimised by calling him JIMMY BOOTS. And that was the name under which he became famous.
    Ralph always considered JIMMY BOOTS to be Ed Weldon's dog. In the three breedings that were made, Ed got inout, and he received half of the pups. I recall that some of the pups looked just like JIMMY, but the men were generally disappointed that that none of them quite measured up to their sire. Such a situation is commonplace when dealing with great dogs. Everyone wants a "chip off the old block," but the fact is that the pups are nearly always going to revert back to the average of their ancestry. If we keep that in mind, selective breeding makes sense and it is not so surprising that JIMMY BOOTS never sired a dog quite like himself. Secretariat never sired a horse as good as himself either. That should not be surprising. Generally judged the greatest racehorse in the modern era, it should not be a shock that his get were not quite as fast as he was. The same is true of the dogs. We may not get that "chip off the old block," but the best way to reach that goal is to breed to those kinds of dogs- if their ancestry is good too.
    The fact is that there may never be another dog quite like JIMMY BOOTS. He may not have been the best dog of all time. But he would be on a short list of the best. He is definately worth remembering , for he truly is a dog for the ages.

4. Re: Greenwoods GR CH Jimmy Boots

Very cool!

thx!

Stephanie
    As Patrick Moynihan said, "You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts"

Some people are like slinkies--they're really good for nothing... But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Blog Entries

Re: Greenwoods GR CH Jimmy Boots

Good read. Definitely one of the top bulldogs of all time.

Nice jeff a tad long but nice read anyways
    hey look it is that asshole oh wait it is just me :D

[mp3]http://virg001.edgeboss.net/download/virg001/sick_puppies/audio/sickpuppies_youre_going_down.mp3[/mp3]

7. Re: Greenwoods GR CH Jimmy Boots

Quote Originally Posted by PullDawgPits View Post
    Here is some Trivia for you...

Did you know that kid in the pic is Hank Greenwood? LOL

Hmmm, I guess I will have to settle for a pup that is 51x Jimmy Boots

oh AND 23x Going Light Barney

Stephanie
    gotta ped?

Quote Originally Posted by DavisBootsZeke View Post
    gotta ped?
    CH WELDON'S (GREENWOOD'S) JIMMY BOOTS
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...ree&dog_id=355

CH GOING LIGHT BARNEY (8XW)(1XL)
    http://www.apbt.online-pedigrees.com...e&dog_id=14057

CHATNJACK

9. Re: Greenwoods GR CH Jimmy Boots

It's too bad Jimmy boots never really reproduced himself.
    "Long live gameness and the creatures that posess it, and if the caretakers of it are half as game as the dogs they posess it shall live on forever..."
    -Known Author

When you can tell yourself you know you've seen enough to form opinions that you might apply, THEN, you can think about the best way to apply them.
    - TDK

10. Re: Greenwoods GR CH Jimmy Boots

Quote Originally Posted by Dansgrizz View Post
    It's too bad Jimmy boots never really reproduced himself.
    yep, but he wasn't bred very often. he is behind some good family of dogs though, like the tdk dogs for an example.