Thread: Montreal bans pit bulls

Blog Entries

Montreal bans pit bulls

https://www.thedodo.com/pit-bull-ban...019462088.html

Here we go again- politicians looking to find a quick platform to hit the news, along with animal rights activists have won in Montreal. Authorities have the right to enter your home to seize the dogs; the list of banned breeds includes the usual, mixes thereof, etc. Perhaps our only saving grace in this is that many veterinarians in Montreal refuse to euthanize healthy dogs.

What can we do to fight this nail in our breed's coffin?

Contain and train your dogs.
    For decades, I have put titles on my dogs with reputable registries. I'm approaching my seventies now and this has become more and more difficult. I also don't see too many folks willing to turn off their phones/computers/tv and devote one night a week for an hour or so to train their dogs.

Don't breed unless you are attempting to better the breed or can keep every dog you breed. If you bring it into this world, you are responsible, whether you own the dam or the sire.
    Don't kid yourself, there aren't enough responsible homes out there, otherwise the shelters and pounds wouldn't be full of them.
    I bred a litter four and a half years ago; they turned out not to be show dogs and so I own that litter now. I couldn't find three people I felt would responsibly care for them. It is expensive and takes a lot of work, time, and energy just to care for them. I worry that they will outlive me; since they don't play well with others, I've asked my family to put them down if I go first. These are the last dogs I will own because of my age.

*****IF YOU ARE WILLING TO FOSTER OR ADOPT A PIT BULL FROM MTL, go to www.mrmoproject.com and fill out an app with "Montreal" in the line where it says specific dog. (in the event that US rescues are needed)*****
    Last edited by George Bailey; 09-27-2016 at 11:13 PM.
    George Bailey

Blog Entries

Re: Montreal bans pit bulls

CITY OF MONTREAL BEING SUED FOR THE BSL PASSED YESTERDAY!!! The bullies of Montreal have a reprieve!
    Montreal, September 28th 2016 – Following the adoption yesterday by the Montreal city council of the new animal control by-law targeting specific dog breeds, and in particular, requiring that behaviourally sound, healthy adoptable dogs and puppies be put to death, the Montreal SPCA urgently filed a lawsuit against the city at the Montreal courthouse today. The Application for judicial review and stay filed by the Montreal SPCA aims, first off, to suspend the application of the sections of the by-law targeting “Pit bull type dogs” in order to then have these sections declared illegal, null, and without effect by Quebec’s Superior Court.
    The provisions of the new by-law targeting “Pit bull type dogs” are contrary to several fundamental principles that govern the legality of municipal by-laws.
    George Bailey

Blog Entries

Re: Montreal bans pit bulls

George Bailey