Thread: The long line as foundation

1. The long line as foundation

I will make this brief as it is time for me to do some actual work sso that we can continue training. My first introduction to this came from the Koehler Method of dog training. I first read this book with some reserve on his method but determined to give it a fair chance I followed it to a tee. After all his dog training credentials are still much greater than mine. I would suggest any one wishing to use this method obtain a copy of the book through amazon or just google the above title name. The book is out of print and will run any where from 10-50 dollars. I just got the guard dog book for 25 plus shipping in good shape. The book is out of print. The basic novice OB is in this book also. The integration of the long line even if one prefers to use a different method as the foundation has helped me in teaching the dog the connection between dog and handler. Briefly you will need a choker chain of proper size and weight,15 foot long line and at least an area of 50 x 50 ft. Also two 15 minute or one thirty minute allotment of time for training. Also, pratice at saying nothing or giving cues during this period are essential. This will last at least a week with more and more distractions being added. The ultimate goal is that at the end of the long line training your dog will be attentive to you aand know the connection between the dog and handler. If any one is intersted in this we can continue this subject as my wife is currently working a young hound of our's. I forgot to mention the dog must be knneled or crated two hrs prior and 10 min afterwards. Time to reflect.

Blog Entries

Re: The long line as foundation

I hope you or Laura will chronicle their journey here, Chris.

These are still valid methods; all the positive stuff is lovely, but the dog still has to have a foundation of respect for the handler and boundaries.

Back in the day, perhaps there was not as much flash and animation as the dogs of today, but there was still a huge amount of commitment, precision, and perhaps a higher qualifying rate in a sport which was huge by today's standards.
    George Bailey

3. Re: The long line as foundation

One of the hardest things is accepting the fact that a lot goes in initially without the instant return one can get from food rewards. I have seen the plus and minus's of both methods but it does me good to see a dog start holding itself accountable for it's actions with you. Perhaps seeing the baby vanish from the dog and the cute impishness replaced by a more mature dog is sad to some dog owners.For me it is illuminating. Laura spent thirty minutes on long line, I videoed most of it. Pretty poor camera work but a great distraction, perhaps too much to soon. She was then required by Tony Anchetta to make a three minute short as if she were selling the method to dog owners.

Blog Entries

Would love to see this and hear Laura's comments on the method.
    George Bailey

5. Re: The long line as foundation

very poor videographer. Still we will post. She,the dog is catching on but still acting like a kid on a school play ground when distractions are added. Oops, what happened, better pay attention. I love the learn to pay attention without commands and the connection to the handler via the long line.

Blog Entries

Question--
    Does this course require the dog be 6 months? Which I believe was the recommendation of Koehler back in the day.
    George Bailey