Thread: There's a light at the end of the tunnel

Blog Entries

There's a light at the end of the tunnel

My puppies are now 14 months old, it's been crazy--- I don't recommend it to any one! They are at that age where there are moments I've just wanted to throw up my hands and tear my hair out--- but here recently, I've seen some future little obedience and rally stars. Granted, it's in bits and pieces, but it's there!

I don't really consider them to be puppies any more, more like mentally immature tweens. Each one has certain things they do better or worse, it's a process. I've been pretty diligent in laying in a good foundation, and mostly am very pleased with their temperaments.

Guess I am writing this as I see so many people having problems with their pups or young dogs.
    George Bailey

2. Re: There's a light at the end of the tunnel

Julie, you and I are training too many dogs at once. I only have four, but you are training...five? six? Well, it's definitely better than TV, except that I do need some veg time. And you are right, some are good at one thing and some another, which is funny as they have all been raised the same and learned the same things. Well, if you don't train them all, you end up feeling guilty for leaving someone out.

I am at the point of NOT teaching them all the same stuff any more. Liz is more fun to teach tricks than plain old obedience. Dahlia needs plain but perfect obedience. Ciarah is so amped up it should be Schutzhund. Diana? I haven't figured her out yet. I wish I could just do one forumula a day and teach it to all four! Never quite works out that way.

Blog Entries

Re: There's a light at the end of the tunnel

lol i haven't had a puppy in a long time but I do remember all the pain in the ass times to. And all my stuff that got eaten.

Blog Entries

I actually like having too many dogs to train, I find it goes better that way and I don't end up overworking or drilling any of them. I pretty much follow the same schedule and work on whatever level of each exercise each dog is at.

We spend time teaching our young dogs to veg out with us, it takes some of them some time to learn to appreciate cuddling up in the big bed with us--- at a year and a half, all of our pups have finally gotten there!
    George Bailey

5. Re: There's a light at the end of the tunnel

Ho many dogs do you now parade roun the roses, or in the ack yeard with th rose bushes on the perimeter? Do thy have o coed ith theferocious two next door like your olderdogs do?
    Quote Originally Posted by George Bailey View Post
    My puppies are now 14 months old, it's been crazy--- I don't recommend it to any one! They are at that age where there are moments I've just wanted to throw up my hands and tear my hair out--- but here recently, I've seen some future little obedience and rally stars. Granted, it's in bits and pieces, but it's there!

I don't really consider them to be puppies any more, more like mentally immature tweens. Each one has certain things they do better or worse, it's a process. I've been pretty diligent in laying in a good foundation, and mostly am very pleased with their temperaments.

Guess I am writing this as I see so many people having problems with their pups or young dogs.

Blog Entries

I don't have to worry about neighbors or their dogs who are awful any more--- they claimed the easement and built us a tall wooden fence. I had pretty much seen the end of their dogs coming right up to the fence and sticking their noses through, as on wet days, the hot wire got them through the grass on their side.

The three empty lots on the south side were cleared of the electrical company's junk equipment and vehicles, to put it up for sale- so all the dogs have had a good year for hunting. I expect one day there will be another fence on that side, too, and pray it will be a business of some sort instead of three cheaply constructed little three story row houses or worse, some sort of apartment complex.
    George Bailey

Awesome !!!
    Sian Min

8. Re: There's a light at the end of the tunnel

I wish I had the problem of OVERdrilling my dogs! Many days go by of nontraining, and then I look up and say, are you kidding? It's next week already??? And she doesn't lie down for any longer than she did last week? AAAAAGH!