Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An Obedience Problem

Blog Entries

An Obedience Problem

At a recent match, my dog, Etta, balked a high jump on the retrieve over the jump. She bailed last minute and hit the jump so hard the boards popped out and scattered on the other side. The usual reaction for this breed would be hahaha, but not this dog, she had decided the jump was an alien.

I might mention here that this is not a physical problem but a mental one, this is a very fast, agile little dog, she's an excellent hunter in very good condition.

In training, I have been rigging all the jumps to look like aliens, with the thought of either building her confidence or correcting a refusal. My jumps have looked pretty funny lately, they've had all kinds of stuff hanging from them or on top of them, mostly she's been acing them and there's been no need to correct.

Here's hoping we get this fixed, Amstaff nationals are here in TX in October.
    George Bailey

2. Re: An Obedience Problem

Need pix of monster jumps!

Blog Entries

Re: An Obedience Problem

Very dark to do that right now, but, yes, need to take some photos and vids, haven't done that in some time.

Etta has not appeared to be frightened of the high jump recently, at the garage or at the facility where I take her occasionally to train. I don't really trust this, so will keep challenging her- and trying to build her confidence up.
    George Bailey

4. Re: An Obedience Problem

Did I ever tell you about competing with Ally in a new (for us) sport that included a pretty high hurdle in the middle of it? Well, I was running her thru the course the day before the trial. I hit the corner of the hurdle with my foot, and all the poles went flying (nice work, Grace). So then I put it back together, backed up, and tried again. This time Ally, always a quick study, hit the stupid thing and made all the poles go flying. I tried again. Same result! Oh man, I had ruined the dog for the trial!

But then the next day she sailed over it like she'd been doing it all her life. Hallelujah! Amazing how forgiving they are if they have a decent foundation.

Blog Entries

That's hilarious about Ally!

I don't know that I will be able to fix this problem--- this dog has a brittle temperament and it crops up in odd places. Most of the time, she sails over jumps like a gazelle, and then there is the odd time the jump turns into a dog killing boogie man!
    George Bailey

6. Re: An Obedience Problem

You need to hire Temple Grandin to ferret out the weird thing that spooks her. She figures out how cows get spooked, when other humans can't see any problem.

Blog Entries

That's funny, except she stated in her book she hates the breed :)
    George Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by alita_gsd View Post
    You need to hire Temple Grandin to ferret out the weird thing that spooks her. She figures out how cows get spooked, when other humans can't see any problem.
    I read her first book. very interesting and shows a lot of insight into animals. I don't know that she's done much with dogs. In any case, she's such a big name on the lecture circuits that she'd be really expensive to consult.

I think a lot of her findings are really common sense insight and the ability to empathise with other creatures (odd, since she's autistic), as well as not being arrogant about our "human superiority".
    Sian Min

Blog Entries

I have to say I try hard not to worry to much about the why, you can drive yourself crazy doing that, and spend all your time and energy. Mostly, I figure it is my job to make her feel that she is invincible and can jump anything--- may or may not happen in this lifetime :)
    George Bailey

10. Re: An Obedience Problem

I recently consulted a canine psychic about some of my dogs thoughts and what would please them in their training. Results were comfort, raccoon hunting , doggie treats and food. Maybe this is an alternative route, send me cash and I'ff tell you what your dogs are thinking.