Thread: The Stand

Blog Entries

The Stand

There are several places where you will use the stand in competition obedience; the novice stand for examination, and two utility exercises-- the signal stand, and the moving stand. It is also used in conformation and in real life, for medical examination. Conformation only people often claim that obedience causes the dog to sit in the breed ring, when in reality, this is a training problem in that the dog does not understand the stand. This is further complicated by the fact that even today, the sit is taught by pushing down on the hips. Many folks don't understand how to teach a stand, and will put pressure under the dogs belly (particularly sensitive in males), and opposition reflex will get them and cause the dog to lower that part of the body away from the pressure, usually into a sit. If you target train, you can have the dog move it's hips up to your targeting hand, and the chin or chest in the front.

There is no reason why dogs cannot be taught to comprehend and hold a correct conformation stand from the beginning as well as the other positions of sit and down. If you have a well made dog, this is easily achieved, and if, on the other hand, if you are trying to improve conformation, you can teach a dog to stand in a specific manner which can camouflage faults with the use of body part targeting.

In obedience, we teach the dog to stand in heel position as well as in front, the latter for future utility work. Where the dog stands is completely related to how the handler positions the dog, the most common error being the handler pulls the dog in front of them and in varying degrees to the right. Generally speaking, where the head goes, the body will follow, so if you have chin up, you get a sit, chin down produces a down, and chin level will yield a stand.

The stand is the most difficult position to teach duration or stay; there are less active body parts to target or anchor, and they are all feet (and therefore more prone to moving), rather than the chest in a down, or the butt in a sit. I generally teach all versions of the stand from the beginning, because it gives the dog more history.

George Bailey
    Last edited by George Bailey; 09-05-2010 at 02:24 AM.

Re: The Stand

Good info!

Blog Entries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLka6...Mcagsp1QClTFyQ

My little Audrey working on stand @ 7 months
    Last edited by George Bailey; 02-05-2013 at 01:41 AM.
    George Bailey

4. Re: The Stand

I'm glad you took the time to share the stand with us. I thought it was just me but I have found it diffuicult to train this behavior. In the show ring some dogs are natural show offs where quite a few see no sense in this behavior.

Chris Mercer

Great post. And what a little stunner Audrey is! Very lovely

Blog Entries

I am also teaching the stand stay a bit differently this time around, after having seen a very nice video by a a UK trainer, using body part targeting and a wall. I have worked with my pups on targeting their right shoulders to my calf and left shoulder to another surface, the I beam at the garage, the refrigerator, cabinet, etc. I think it is helping them to feel more grounded and secure, as this creates the same effect as swaddling or a squeeze box.
    George Bailey