Thread: Need Help

Need Help

Okay I know we are not allowed to advertise or attemept to sell dogs on the forum and that is not what I am attempting to do, its just that I have a huge problem and I'm hoping you guys can give me advise.

We have a couple in Finland that loves one of our puppies. They have done their research and were able to answer numerous questions regarding their intentions with the puppy. They viewed the pedigrees and did their research on the ancestors. (OFK they love Switch, but then again he's the reason we got Heaven!! :smiles:) They have agreed to pay for shipping, all the crap that goes with shipping a puppy internationally, agreed to have the puppy neutered upon arrival and to keep us updated on his condition via emails and pictures. They stated that there was a small group in Helsinki that gets together to weight pull and they hope to train the puppy for weight pulling.

All this being said, I have never shipped a dog internationally and I am totally confussed on the process. I have looked up the different requirements but honestly, I'm still a bit confussed as to what all needs to happen. Do you guys have any advice?? Also do you guys think it's safe to ship one of our babies to Finland? I'm totally terrified because really, I have no way to guarantee they are taking care of him once he gets there!! Please help you guys!! Thanks!!
    Last edited by Sad Eye Pits; 08-27-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Re: Need Help

Personally I would have the dog fixed before I even thought about shipping it anywhere. what pup are you sending? make sure you have a legit contract signed by said person about keeping you updated on the dog but really being that far away what you gonna do if something goes wrong anyway. I personally wouldn't do it but perhaps there is someone on here that has been through this int. shipping stuff that can be of better help.

To be honest with you, I am totally terrified because that is my fear. Even though we require a contract stating no illegal activity, fix the dog if you aren't doing anything with him and keep us updated with pictures and information, it's not like I'm going to fly to Finland and take him back if they fail to do that. I just wanted to get others advice and see what they thought before I made a final decision on whether we send him or not. Luckily he's just a baby and nothing is set in stone as of yet (I still have time to back out)

Blog Entries

Honestly i wouldn't do it.

There would be no way to hold them to any contract if they are in another country.

I would use a rule that any potential buyers would have to drive to pick up the dog themselves. That shows they are willing to go the extra mile so to speak. And you will be able to get to meet them face to face. And It can show alot of other things to.

But that's just my opinion.

I agree with infinity. IMHO I think it is very important for both the purchaser and seller to meet. I know for one, I want to see parents and other dogs, how they are kept, how they act if I was purchasing a pup.

In the end you will have the piece of mind placing the pup in a home you can follow through with your contract and keep contact with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eye Pits View Post
    Okay I know we are not allowed to advertise or attemept to sell dogs on the forum and that is not what I am attempting to do, its just that I have a huge problem and I'm hoping you guys can give me advise.

We have a couple in Finland that loves one of our puppies. They have done their research and were able to answer numerous questions regarding their intentions with the puppy. They viewed the pedigrees and did their research on the ancestors. (OFK they love Switch, but then again he's the reason we got Heaven!! :smiles:) They have agreed to pay for shipping, all the crap that goes with shipping a puppy internationally, agreed to have the puppy neutered upon arrival and to keep us updated on his condition via emails and pictures. They stated that there was a small group in Helsinki that gets together to weight pull and they hope to train the puppy for weight pulling.

All this being said, I have never shipped a dog internationally and I am totally confussed on the process. I have looked up the different requirements but honestly, I'm still a bit confussed as to what all needs to happen. Do you guys have any advice?? Also do you guys think it's safe to ship one of our babies to Finland? I'm totally terrified because really, I have no way to guarantee they are taking care of him once he gets there!! Please help you guys!! Thanks!!

Accentually you have to go through U.S. Customs to ship any animal internationally, the USDA and have an International Health Certificate (APHIS FORM 7001 - "United States Interstate & International Certificate of Health Examination for Small Animals") that must be completed by an APHIS accredited veterinarian who certifies the animals health status, conducts tests, and records those test results and provides them to other Government agenciesí such as the Internal Revenue Service. In laymanís terms, your going to get audited by the IRS and if you have more than 1 dog be prepared to go through the exact same thing that Floyd & Guy Boudreaux went through. Iíve known a few people who've shipped a dog over seas. All of them say theyíll never go through that hell on earth ever again in their lifetime. Good luck to you on whatever you decide to do. I personally would make them come pick it up in person.

Best regards,
    Jack