Thread: New Behavior

New Behavior

Peanut has in the past few weeks picked up a new behavior that has me kind of nervous. Not of him doing it but what is he picking up on.
    Lately when I take him out at night to pee he runs out his mohawk is all the way up and he growls while he is peeing and he looks around the whole yard while he is still peeing. He only does this at night and only when I take him out by myself.
    Do you think this is normal? This is fairly new with him. Nothing has happend and he hasn't a reason to be on "patrol" at night.
    Peanut SPD-B, JD, JD-B, JD-G,SRD, SRD-B, FF-B FF-S FF-G, DM
    splash dogs Top APBT 2013
    Personal best Super Air-21 feet 6 inches
    Personal best Super Vertical 5 feet 10 inches
    Personal best fetch-it 17 feet
    Personal best clock it 7 seconds
    Sponsored by Stillwater Kennel Supply

Be the person your dog THINKS you are.

Blog Entries

Re: New Behavior

Don't forget they have an acute sense of smell and there could be something or somebody nearby that you can't see. Even so, thank him for his attention and tell him you'll take care of it, don't let him keep going down that road.

George Bailey

you bring up good points. is there anything i should do specifically when he does this? i appreciate your help.
    Peanut SPD-B, JD, JD-B, JD-G,SRD, SRD-B, FF-B FF-S FF-G, DM
    splash dogs Top APBT 2013
    Personal best Super Air-21 feet 6 inches
    Personal best Super Vertical 5 feet 10 inches
    Personal best fetch-it 17 feet
    Personal best clock it 7 seconds
    Sponsored by Stillwater Kennel Supply

Be the person your dog THINKS you are.

Blog Entries

Peanutsmommy, if it's just a potty trip, I'd have him on lead. If it's go hang outside, I'd still have him on lead and do some obedience, follow me when I change direction, a little stay, jumps, some downs or body work/massage etc. Having activities you do outside sets up a different climate, and some of that could be leadership--- especially in their own yard, where many of them think they can do whatever they want to do. If he's pretty young he cold be just hitting the age where they become territorial--- I don't like to make a big deal out of it (because drawing attention to it will cause it to increase), but I really do let them know I'm the police and not them. Just like in the fence fighting thread, I don't really mind all that much if they're protecting their property, but the rest of the world is never gonna see it that way.

George Bailey
    Last edited by George Bailey; 05-28-2010 at 01:03 AM.

5. Re: New Behavior

How old is he? It may be as Julie says and he is coming of the age when hormones set off behaviors he hasn't demonstrated before. Rather than repeat the same thing Julie just said I agree. If on the other hand you wanted to have this kind of behavior I wouldn't reward this or encourage it in this setting rather I would only teach it after a solid ob back round so that there is a handle on it.
    On the other hand he might just see haints. Chris Mercer